Moist and delicious apple cake with lightly browned and crunchy crumble toppings. Heavenly decadence! Thanks for this wonderful recipe, Deepthi.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Sift together the dry ingredients for the cake - All Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Salt and Cinnamon powder.
- Make sure that butter is at room temperature. Cut it into square pieces, so that it get mixed soon. Mix butter and powdered sugar in a bowl with electric/stand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs 1 at a time, beating after the addition of each.
- Add vanilla essence and mix it well.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly, blend well after each addition.
- Add yoghurt and mix well.
- Peel and chop the apples into 1/2 inch chunks. Fold in the apples. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan.
- To make the crumble topping, make sure that butter is not freezed, but cold(refrigerated). This would be the key to get a perfect crumble topping. Split up the walnut kernels if they are too big. Combine powdered sugar, flour, butter, salt and walnut with hands. Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the topping over the cake.
- Bake for about 45 - 50 minutes or until tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. The crust would be lightly browned and crunchy.
- Enjoy with a scoop of ice cream :)
Getting the perfect crumble topping is the secret of this recipe :)