An Indian one pot meal. Chicken marinated and cooked with spices and layered with rice. Nadan chicken biriyani is one of my favorites. An easy, quick, tasty and delicious Kerala chicken biriyani recipe.
- Mix together ingredients listed under marination. Marinate the chicken well. Keep it aside for 2 - 3 hours.
- Soak rice in water for 1hr.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add sliced onions, salt and saute, till they turn brown and then add garam masala.
- Add sliced tomatoes and saute well.
- Add marinated chicken and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook until chicken is done.
- Drain the water from the rice.
- Heat ghee in the pan/ cooker.
- Add cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom seeds, curry leaves, cloves and aniseeds.
- Once it is sauted well, add rice. Saute it till rice is crispy.
- Add 6 cup water to it with enough salt. Cover and cook until rice is done. It would approximately take 10 - 15 minutes.
- ** Never miss this step. Layer a pan / cooker with alternating layers of rice and the chicken masala. Add coriander leaves and 1 tsp ghee at every layer.
- Heat the layered biriyani for about 20 minutes. It is a good option to microwave it as well. Rice and biriyani masala gets blended well with this. You need not add water since biriyani masala has good gravy content.
- Thinly slice 1 onion and fry it in ghee. Sprinkle salt and bit sugar.
- Garnish the top of biriyani with the above fried onions and roasted cashews and raisins.
- Serve it with raitha, pickle and papad