An Indian one pot meal. Chicken marinated and cooked in spices and layered with rice. It is an easy and delicious kerala chicken biriyani recipe. One of my favorite!
- Mix together ingredients listed under marination. Marinate the chicken well. Keep it aside for 2 - 3 hours.
- Soak rice in water for 1hr.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- Add sliced onions, salt and saute, till they turn brown and then add garam masala.
- Add sliced tomatoes and saute well.
- Add marinated chicken and mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook until chicken is done.
- Drain the water from the rice.
- Heat ghee in the pan/ cooker.
- Add cinnamon, bay leaf, cardamom seeds, curry leaves, cloves and aniseeds.
- Once it is sauted well, add rice. Saute it till rice is crispy.
- Add 4 1/2 cup water to it with enough salt. Cover and cook until rice is done. It would approximately take 10 - 15 minutes.
- ** Never miss this step. Layer a pan / cooker with alternating layers of rice and the chicken masala. Add coriander leaves and 1 tsp ghee at every layer.
- Heat the layered biriyani for about 20 minutes. It is a good option to microwave it as well. Rice and biriyani masala gets blended well with this. You need not add water since biriyani masala has good gravy content.
- Thinly slice 1 onion and fry it in ghee. Sprinkle salt and bit sugar.
- Garnish the top of biriyani with the above fried onions and roasted cashews and raisins.
- Serve it with raitha, pickle and papad