Kerala style beans stir fry with coconut, garlic and green chilly. A simple and healthy dish that can be served with rice. It’s also called as “beans upperi” in the central part of Kerala. One of the side dishes for Kerala Onam Sadya 🙂
- Chop beans into small pieces. Cut shallots.
- Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves. Add shallots and saute it until soft and translucent. Add turmeric powder and saute it.
- In a blender or mixi, crush garlic and green chilly well. Then add coconut and cumin. Cumin is optional. I don't add cumin usually. Crush it just to blend everything well. ** Don't grind.
- Add crushed mixture to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes. Don't let it brown.
- Then add chopped beans and enough salt. Cover and cook. Don't add water. It naturally has water in it, which releases when they are cooked.
- Stir in between. Otherwise, it can get burnt. Cook it until beans is done. Serve with rice 🙂
Coconut is the key ingredient in this recipe. Never compromise on that 🙂