Mung bean stir fry with coconut, garlic and green chilly. A relatively simple Kerala side dish - prepared together with rice/rice porridge/kanji for lunch. A comfort food and a very common dish at Kerala homes. I always get good quality organic dal and pulses from Bigbasket's organic section, when I was in Bangalore.
- Pressure cook - Clean the beans and add it in a pressure cooker. Add salt, turmeric powder and water. Pressure cook on medium high flame for two whistles.
- Crush - By that time, crush garlic, ginger and green chili well. Then add grated coconut and a pinch of jeera. Crush it just to blend everything well. Don't grind it. Keep it aside.
- Slice shallots. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves. Add shallots and saute it until soft and translucent. Add crushed mixture to the pan and saute for a couple of minutes. Don't let it brown.
- Then add cooked beans along with remaining water. Taste the beans and add more salt if needed. Raise the flame and keep sauteing the mixture till the water evaporates and the mixture is blended well.
- Enjoy with Rice/Rice porridge/kanji and Moru curry :)
The cooking time for moong dal depends on the dal. I have seen moong dal in different sizes and with different cooking times. So check and cook as needed.