This is one hell of a pudding that tastes so well; angels may take over your home. A Three Layer pudding with caramel, sauteed pineapple, milk and condensed milk mixture. It’s a bit of work and occasionally needs another pair of hands to hold the vessel, especially mixing when china grass or sugar caramel.
Rest said, you'll enjoy cooking this again and again, and it gets easier once you do it couple of times.
Condensed milk layer
- Tear / cut the china grass sheets into small pieces and add it to a cup of hot water and keep it aside for 30 - 60 minutes. You can cut it using scissors.
- Pineapple layer - Sauteed pineapple should get cooled down when we do the layers and hence going for it before the rest. Slice down the sides of the pineapple, cutting off the tough outer skin and inner spikes. Continue all around the pineapple, following the natural contour of the fruit. Cut it into small chunks and crush it using a mixie/blender. You can leave small bit pieces as it is.
- Heat butter/ghee in a pan. Saute pineapple with some extra sugar, perhaps two tablespoons to start with. Based on the sweetness of the pineapple, add more sugar as needed.
- Pineapples have a ton of water in it, which seeps out while cooking. Keep it in medium high flame. Saute it till pineapple is golden. Adjust the sugar. You can smell the pineapple's aroma in the air. It will take around 20 minutes. Stir it every 2 minutes.
- Caramel layer - Keep the pudding glass plate on a wooden base ready to take the liquid caramel. Heat the sugar and melt it in a dry steel thick bottomed vessel in high flame. Keep stirring the sugar/swirl the pan to avoid sugar lumps.
- At the point of seeing all the sugar melt and change into brown color, transfer it to the pudding glass plate. Transfer it quickly so that the caramel does not crystallize and is spread evenly. I didn't make it on the bitter side, but if you like it bitter make the caramel dark.
- Once the caramel is crystallized, transfer sauteed pineapple to the pudding bowl above the crystallized caramel and spread it evenly till a layer is formed. Once the pineapple layer has bit cooled down, you can start the condensed milk layer.
- Condensed Milk layer - Take the milk in a pan and put it under a flame to boil. Be accurate on the milk measurements. Add the condensed milk to it. When you add the condensed milk, keep on stirring the milk so that the thick condensed milk does no go down and burn. Add sugar if needed. Add vanilla essence.
- At the same time, take the china grass in another pan and keep on another medium flame to boil. China grass should get completely dissolved into the water.
- Stir both the liquids. Do not take it to the point of evaporation. Once you see them both mixed properly, bring it to a boil. When both are at the almost same boiling temperature, transfer the china grass solution to the milk through a sieve. Use a bigger strainer, so that it can be transferred quickly.
- Lower the milk flame. Stir well and stop the flame after 3 minutes. Slowly transfer the milk to the pudding bowl above the pineapple layer.
- Slowly the condensed milk mixture will solidify. Once it has cooled down, refrigerate for 4-5 hours. Then keep it outside for an hour before serving to get the pineapple melt into the caramel.
- Serve by carving out scoops in a pudding cup. Decorate with caramelized nuts to the top of each serving.