Pork varattiyathu!! Pork cooked and roasted with chilli and spices. One of my favorite dish since my childhood days. I adapted this recipe from my grand mother. This Pork masala Fry recipe is a "must" dish at a Kerala Christian home for any special occasion. This goes well with rice.
- Cut cleaned pork into cube size pieces. Marinate pork with ingredients listed under marination. Add 2 tbsp of water to this and cook covered till the pork is done. In a regular pan, it might take around 45 minutes. In pressure cooker, it would be done in 1-2 whistles.
- ** Drain the excess oil out of the pan. Don't forget to do this. Otherwise the final dish would be very oily. I prefer using this oil to saute the onion and masala.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry coconut pieces until it becomes golden brown color. Keep it aside. ** Another alternative for coconut pieces is grated coconut. If you are using grated coconut, fry 3/4 cup of grated coconut until it gets brown color. Grind it well. The authentic Thrissur style pork preparation is with grated coconut.
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute sliced small onions, salt and lots of curry leaves. Saute it until onion turns golden brown. Then add crushed garlic and ginger paste. Saute it well.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute it well and if required add more oil.
- Now add cooked pork and fried coconut pieces/ grinded grated coconut prepared in step 3. Adjust salt. Cook on low flame for around 15 - 20 minutes. If required, add oil in between. Stir it until it becomes black in color.