Mildly sweet, slightly spicy, easy to bake butter cookies. These are topped with currants in the shape of a cross. Soul cakes are traditionally made on Halloween (two days before All Soul's Day). This recipe is adapted from lavenderandlovage.com.
- Pre-heat oven to 375F.
- Make sure that butter is in room temperature. Cut butter into cubes so that it would be easy to beat it. Using electric/stand mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy.
- Powder sugar and beat until blended.
- Beat in egg yolks.
- Sift the flour into another bowl with the mixed spice and then add them part by part to the above mixture. Mix well after each addition.
- Add enough milk to make it a soft dough.
- Roll the dough out and cut out little cakes with a biscuit cutter. Set them on baking sheet. You can space them closely, they do not spread.
- Mark each cake with a cross and decorate dried cranberry / currant on the cross.
- Bake it for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool on a wire rack and the store in an airtight tin for up to 5 days.