This recipe goes really well with rice or rotis… you can just as easily substitute fresh mushrooms with canned ones (as i have done here) and the veggies can be frozen too! its easy to whip up quickly, when your running low on fresh produce in ur fridge! 🙂
- heat oil in a kadhai. when the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves and bay leaf. stir.
- when the seeds just start to splutter, add the green chillies and curry leaves. cook for 30 seconds.
- next add the ginger and garlic, and ctir around till they turn translucent. be careful not to burn them.
- add the finely chopped onion and cook till soft. add the turmeric powder ans stir.
- next add the tomatoes, and a little salt. stir till the tomatoes are soft, and release their juices.
- add the red chilly powder and coriander powder. stir well to combine, and cook on medium heat till the spice powders lose their raw smell.
- to this, add the mushrooms and frozen mixed veggies. stir well to coat the masala evenly over all the vegetables.
- add about a cup of water (depends on how much gravy you want) and turn the heat on high.
- when it just boils, add the garam masala powder and kasuri methi. cover and cook on a simmer for about 10 minutes.
- check for seasoning, and add salt. stir in the cream and immediately take it off the heat.
- garnish with freshly chopped coriander and serve hot.