Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
Crispy Fried Potatoes cooked with spring onion and bell peppers in a sweet and spicy sauce. Honey Chilli Potato is a popular Indo-Chinese appetizer. Sweet and spicy flavor combination makes it awfully delicious.
Check out other Indo Chinese recipes here.
Indo-Chinese dishes are something that I love all the time and never get bored. This Honey Chilli Potato or Aloo is an easy and yummy dish. An ideal dish to serve for parties, get-togethers or a good one to include in your weekend lunch menu. Serve it immediately, or else it will turn soggy. You are gonna love this!
- Clean and peel potatoes. Cut potatoes into thin rectangle strips. It's important that you cut it into uniform size pieces.
- Prepare marinade - Mix ingredients listed under marination - corn flour, all purpose flour, chilli powder, and salt. Marinate potato pieces with the mix.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep fry the marinated potato pieces until golden brown. Fry it in small batches evenly. Don't over fry the potatoes. It can turn hard. Drain them in kitchen tissues.
- Crush or grind ginger and garlic into fine paste. Chop spring onion bulbs into small pieces. Reserve spring onion green part for garnishing. Cut bell pepper into thin strips. Split dried red chilli and have it ready. I did it in the chopper.
- In the same kadai, remove excess oil. Use rest of the oil for the sauce preparation. In medium flame, saute ginger and garlic in the same pan.
- Once it's sauteed well, add dried red chilli. Give a stir.
- Add chopped spring onion bulbs. Saute it for a couple of minutes.
- Then add bell pepper. Saute them well until light brown. Add oil as needed.
- Mix chilli sauce, honey and soya sauce. Add the sauces into the pan. Mix it well. Taste the gravy and add the sauce, if needed according to your taste. Adjust salt. If you find, sauces are getting dry, sprinkle some water.
- In medium high flame, add fried potato pieces and toss in half of the spring onion greens. Mix everything well. Stir it well for a couple of minutes, until potatoes get coated well with the sauces.
- Garnish with the rest of spring onion greens and sesame seeds. Serve it immediately, or else it will turn soggy. Enjoy 🙂
- I used regular soy sauce. If you are using Dark Soy sauce, reduce the soy sauce measurement. Adjust the sauce quantity as per your taste. With different brands, taste can differ a bit.
- Make sure that you cut potatoes into uniform pieces. Only then, it gets fried evenly.
- Also, it's important that when you add potatoes and toss in sauce, you should cook in medium high flame. Otherwise, potatoes turn soggy.