This is a very simple variation of the famous American Potato Hash. We've made it into an Indian style that all of our friends love. It is made of very simple ingredients that you likely have at home. The only thing you need in addition is a baking oven or a microwave that can do convection.
The major reason we do the potato hash as a breakfast is because it's one of the very few dishes that we can cook for a large batch of people. Usually, when we have friends over, we can only do two pancakes or three pancakes at a time, but here we use a large baking pan for all of the hash. Cook it and bake everything in one go. You can serve everything hot in one shot. So keep this in mind the next time you have guests at home!
For Cooking the Potatoes
- 2 numbers or 650 grams russet potatoes
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
- salt (according to taste)
For Cooking the Chicken
- 550 grams button mushrooms (regular)
- 400 grams boneless chicken (preferably chicken thighs)
- 1 number bell pepper (large)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- to taste salt
- (according to the number of guests) Eggs
- Prepare the ingredients. Start by dicing the potatoes into quarter inch cubes. It should be small ones just like in the picture shown below. Dice the chicken thighs into half inch pieces. Slice the mushrooms and then dice the bell peppers. You can refer to the photos below to see how they should look.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a medium to low-medium flame. Add 1 teaspoon of chili powder. Sauté in low flame until the raw smell is gone. Then add ¼ teaspoon of Garam masala.
- Add the diced potatoes to it.
- Then add the salt – spreading it to a level according to your taste. Sauté for 5 minutes to let everything spread.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F. Once you've set it into the required temperature, spread the potatoes into a baking pan. In this case, we use a circular pan. Note: When spreading the potatoes we usually keep it as a single layer. After spreading and layering, bake it for 15 minutes at 400 °F.
- Meanwhile, as the potatoes are being baked, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in the same pan that you've used earlier. Keep it medium to low flame. Add ¾ teaspoon of chili powder and sauté until you don't feel the raw smell.
- Next, add ½ teaspoon of Garam masala. Sauté it in to the mix and add in the chicken. Sautée a little once more before adding the salt.
- You must sauté it well till you don't see the pink color.
- At this point, add the mushrooms and then salt accordingly to your taste. Add ½ teaspoon (or more if you want it to be spicier) of pepper powder.
- Once all those ingredients are mixed in, add the diced bell pepper. But before you add it, make sure that there are no seeds, core or stems.
- Keep on sautéing in medium to high flame until all the water from the mushroom has evaporated. But make sure that they don't burn either. The point is to lose all the water from the mushroom. Add more salt according to your taste.
- Now at this point, add the sautéed chicken and bell peppers into the baked potatoes as a layer. Note that the potatoes are baked for 15 minutes and once the time is up, put the chicken and bell peppers on top of it. Spread it evenly. Then bake the dish for another 6 minutes at 400 °F.
- After the 6-minutes baking time, crack the eggs and add them on top. You can refer to the image below to see how it should look. Make sure that the yolks are not broken. You can also add cheese on top, but this is optional. Usually, I use pepper jack cheese or a sharp cheese like cheddar.
- Once you've added the eggs, put it again in the baking oven at the same temperature. Keep it for another 6 to 7 minutes or up to 8 minutes depending on the consistency of the eggs you want. Sometimes I keep it runny and sometimes I bake it till the eggs are half-cooked.
- As you can see in the image below, the potatoes will be the bottom layer. The chicken and bell peppers will follow as the next layer. Then the mushrooms will be over it and will have eggs on top. If you added the cheese, then it will be the topmost part. And that's it – you can serve immediately! I'm sure everybody will love this!