Potatoes pressure cooked, blended with cream cheese and topped with green onions, cheese, and bacon. This Instant Pot Easy Creamy Potato Soup is a healthy One Pot Soup and one of my favorites for dinner, especially during winter time. Cream of potato and cream cheese combined beautifully in this creamy and comforting soup!
For more soup recipes, check out
Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup
If you are new to Instant Pot, it's a multi-purpose cooker. It can operate as a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, yogurt maker, saute pan, steamer, and food warmer. In this recipe, I used it as an electronic pressure cooker. I don't use a regular pressure cooker anymore. Instant Pot is incredible and makes your life easy.
The best part of this soup is the toppings. Never miss out that. It’s loaded with shredded cheddar/jack cheese, green onions and crumbled bacon. You can also go for a cheese blend having cheddar and jack cheese.
VEGETARIANS can use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock and skip the bacon. This was a huge hit at home and another family favorite soup recipe 🙂
Here are some health benefits of potato. Potato is high on the glycemic index but rich in few vitamins, vitamin C, and vitamin b6. And it's also rich in few minerals, say potassium.
- 2 lb russet potato
- ½ number yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced or crushed)
- 4 cup chicken broth / vegetable broth
- 6 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon pepper powder
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar/jack cheese
- ½ cup green onion
- 8 slice bacon
- Prepare Bacon - Preheat the oven to 350F. Line rimmed baking sheet/roasting pan with aluminum foil. Having foil makes cleanup easier. Lay the bacon on the baking sheet/roasting pan in a single layer. Use 1 or 2 baking sheet/roasting pan as needed. Bake until the bacon is golden-brown and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Crumble it into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare ingredients - Wash the potatoes and dice them into 1.5-inch cubes. Dice onion into small pieces. Mince garlic.
- Add potatoes, onion, garlic, paprika, pepper powder, milk, chicken stock and salt to the Instant Pot. Close the Instant Pot lid, move the valve to SEAL and cook on MANUAL HIGH-PRESSURE setting for 5 minutes.
- Once the timer goes off, either do a NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE or a QUICK PRESSURE RELEASE after 10 minutes. Refer notes for instructions on natural and quick release.
- Add the softened cream cheese and puree soup in a blender until the cheese is incorporated. You can do it in batches. Otherwise, You can puree just half of the soup with cream cheese and leave rest as it is. I prefer to puree the whole soup.
- Adjust salt. Add your favorite seasoning and pepper if needed. I added Bayou Blend seasoning. Stir well, top with shredded cheddar/jack cheese, chopped green onions and crumbled bacon. Enjoy 🙂
- I use Organic Chicken base from Costco for the chicken stock. It comes out well.
- While you cook bacon, don't let it overlap or the bacon will stick during cooking.
- I used Instant Pot DUO80. You can also make the same recipe in a regular pressure cooker. Pressure cook potatoes for 3 whistles, that case, Instant Pot just makes your life easier 🙂
- Natural & Quick Pressure Release - For natural pressure release, allow the float valve to drop off without doing anything. It would take some time, around 30 minutes or so. For quick pressure release, once the timer goes off, leave it as it is for 10 minutes. Then turn the valve from sealing to venting and allow the steam to release the pressure until the float valve drops off.