Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
Mutton simmered in coconut milk with onion, ginger- garlic and spices. Appam with mutton Stew is one of my favorite breakfast. Great combination with Idiyappam, puttu and bread also.
green chilli green
cinnamon (1 inch stick)
black pepper whole
black pepper powder
coconut milk medium thick
coconut milk thick
coriander leaves (optional)
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker. Add cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and fry for a minute.
- Slit green chillies. Thinly slice the onions. Add onion, green chilli, curry leaves and salt. Saute it until onion is soft and translucent. Don't let it brown.
- Crush/grind ginger and garlic. Fry it well for couple of minutes.
- Add the spice powders - freshly crushed whole pepper, pepper powder, fennel powder and coriander powder. Fry the spice powders for 2 minutes.
- Clean the mutton pieces and drain the water. Add mutton, 1/4 cup water, salt and mix it well. Pressure cook for around four whistles or until meat is cooked. Don't overcook. Mutton has lot of fat and it would be melted by this time.
- Either use the same cooker or transfer the above mutton with gravy to another pan for the rest of the preparation. Add medium thick coconut milk. Adjust salt and pepper. Let it cook for 5 minutes. Then add thick coconut milk. Mix it well.
- Add coriander leaves. Bring it to boil and then switch off. Coriander leaves is optional.
- Garnish - Chop shallots. In a small pan, add 2 teaspoons oil. Fry shallots. Keep it aside. Fry cashewnut and raisins in the same pan one after the other. Add the garnish to the stew. Serve with Appam, Idiyappam, puttu or bread.
- If you want the stew to be creamier, soak 1 tbsp cashew in 2 tbsp hot water for 15 minutes. Grind it to a smooth paste. Add cashew paste at the end to thicken it more.
- Preparation of coconut milk from grated coconut - Grind 3 cup grated coconut with 1 cup lukewarm water. 1 cup thick coconut milk can be extracted from this. Luke warm water helps you to extract coconut milk well. Grind the same coconut with 2 cups lukewarm water. 2 cups medium thick coconut milk can be prepared from this.
- In California, I found this brand of coconut milk very useful for the Indian style preparations. It's canned thick coconut milk. To make 1 cup medium thick coconut milk using this canned one, add 1/2 cup water to 1/2 cup canned milk and mix well.