Kerala style beans stir fry with spices, ginger, and garlic. This Beans Mezhukkupuratti or Beans Olathiyathu is a quick and healthy side dish that goes well with rice. Mezhukkupuratti is made with different vegetables and is very common at a Kerala home. And it’s one of the side dishes for Kerala Onam Sadya.
For more Kerala style vegetable stir fry recipes, check out:
The Green Beans are also known by other names French beans or String beans. It’s rich in vitamins and minerals.
For other Indian vegetarian recipes, check out:
- Clean the beans. Trim off the string, a hard fibrous strand running the length of the pod. Slice beans into 1/2 inch long slices. Thinly slice onion.
- Heat oil in a skillet. Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves and dried red chilli.
- Add chopped beans, sliced onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder, and salt. Add 2 tsp oil and stir it well until well combined. Cover and cook. Don't add water. It naturally has water in it, which releases while it gets cooked.
- Cook in medium heat. Stir it every 3-4 minutes. Otherwise, it can get burnt. Cook until until beans is done and soft. It might take around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add salt if needed. Add 2-3 tsp oil, and saute it on medium high flame for around 5 minutes until it gets roasted (or fried) well. This step is really important for better taste. Serve with rice 🙂