Kerala style long beans stir fry with spices, ginger and garlic. A quick and healthy dish that can be served with rice. One of the side dishes for Kerala Onam Sadya 🙂
coconut oil / vegetable oil
- Cut long beans into 1.5 inch long pieces. If the beans are matured (slightly yellowish), take out the seeds and use only seeds. Thinly slice onion. You can also use shallots instead of onion.
- Heat oil in a large skillet (Cast iron skillet works well). Splutter mustard seeds and then add curry leaves.
- Add chopped long beans, sliced onions, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chilli powder and salt. Add 1 tsp oil and stir it well until well combined. Cover and cook. Don't add water. It naturally has a lot of water in it, which releases when they are cooked.
- Cook in medium heat until water gets almost dried up. Stir in between, otherwise it can get burnt. It might take around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Add 1- 2 tsp oil, saute it for around 5 minutes in medium flame until it gets roasted well. Serve with rice 🙂
Don't add water while cooking long beans for better taste.