Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
Boiled eggs cooked in spicy onion tomato masala gravy. This Kerala Egg Roast / Nadan mutta roast without coconut is one of the easy and tasty side dishes that you can prepare very quickly. Mostly served for breakfast with Appam(Rice and Coconut pancake) or Noolappam or Puttu. Also tastes great with roti or any Indian bread.
1 1/2 teaspoons
coriander leaves (optional)
coconut oil / vegetable oil
- Hard boil the eggs - Place eggs in a saucepan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Add cold water to cover eggs by 1 inch. Heat over high heat just to boiling. Remove from the burner. Cover pan. Let eggs stand in hot water about 9 minutes for medium eggs, 12 minutes for large eggs and 15 minutes for extra large ones.
- Drain immediately and cool completely under cold running water. De-shell the eggs and cut into half. Slit the eggs.
- Prepare masala - Chop onion into small pieces. Crush or grind ginger and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add the curry leaves and fennel seeds and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add sliced onion and some salt. Salt absorbs moisture from onion and helps onion to get cooked fast.
- Once onion turns brown, add ginger and garlic paste and saute it well.
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Add oil as required. Saute it well for 3 - 4 minutes. ** Masala is bit spicy. If you want to reduce the spice level, reduce pepper powder or chilli powder.
- Chop tomatoes into small pieces. Add chopped tomatoes to the masala and saute well.
- Once tomatoes are cooked well, add 1 cup water. Add chopped coriander leaves, if you like the flavor. Mix it and adjust salt in the gravy.
- Masala should be slightly watery at this moment. Add eggs to the masala and let it boil for another 10 minutes for the masala to coat in the egg. ** If you like more egg flavor in the gravy, mash one of the egg yolks into the gravy. Once gravy has desired consistency, switch off the flame.
- Serve it with Appam or Noolappam or Puttu or Roti 🙂
Kerala Egg Roast (Nadan mutta roast)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 55IU1%
Vitamin C 18.8mg23%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.