Chicken cooked and roasted in spicy onion tomato gravy. This recipe is adapted from my mom and a quite easy kerala style chicken tomato roast recipe. Must dish for Sunday lunch and any other special occasions. One of my favorites and a quite delicious one! Goes well with rice and chapathi / Indian breads.
For more Kerala chicken recipes, check out
- Marinate chicken with ingredients listed under marination for 1 hour
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion, green chillies, curry leaves and some salt. Salt absorbs moisture from onion and helps onion to get cooked fast.
- Once onion turns brown, add ginger and garlic paste and saute it well. ** Onion should be well sauteed in this recipe. So never compromise on this step 🙂
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder,fennel powder and garam masala powder to the above mix and saute it well. Add oil as required.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the mix and saute well
- Once tomatoes are cooked well, adjust salt in the gravy. Add marinated chicken pieces to it. Add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Cook until chicken is cooked and the gravy is consistent. Allow water to dry up from the gravy.
- If you want a dry roast, saute it for some more time. Add 1 - 2 tbsp oil if needed. Mostly, chicken fat will help you to roast and you might not need extra oil. Garnish it with coriander leaves and ghee roasted cashew nuts.
Last updated on: