Chicken cooked and roasted in spicy onion tomato gravy. This recipe is adapted from my mom and a quite easy kerala style chicken tomato roast recipe. Must dish for Sunday lunch and any other special occasions. One of my favorites and a quite delicious one! Goes well with rice and chapathi / Indian breads.
- Marinate chicken with ingredients listed under marination for 1 hour
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion, green chillies, curry leaves and some salt. Salt absorbs moisture from onion and helps onion to get cooked fast.
- Once onion turns brown, add ginger and garlic paste and saute it well. ** Onion should be well sauteed in this recipe. So never compromise on this step 🙂
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder,fennel powder and garam masala powder to the above mix and saute it well. Add oil as required.
- Add chopped tomatoes to the mix and saute well
- Once tomatoes are cooked well, adjust salt in the gravy. Add marinated chicken pieces to it. Add some chopped coriander leaves.
- Cook until chicken is cooked and the gravy is consistent. Allow water to dry up from the gravy.
- If you want a dry roast, saute it for some more time. Add 1 - 2 tbsp oil if needed. Mostly, chicken fat will help you to roast and you might not need extra oil. Garnish it with coriander leaves and ghee roasted cashew nuts.