This is a spicy dish, well flavored with cocum and pepper. It is a simple and quick chemmeen roast/fry preparation. It goes well with rice. This prawns masala roast recipe is adapted from my mom-in-law 🙂
Here are other kerala style prawns recipes,
Prawns curry with roasted coconut
- ½ Kilogram Prawns
- ½ Teaspoon turmeric Powder
- ½ Tablespoon pepper Powder
- 1 Tablespoon ginger
- 1 Tablespoon garlic
- 1 Cocum (Kudam puli, medium piece)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Cup onion Small
- ½ Tablespoon Chilly Powder
- 1 Teaspoon coriander Powder (optional)
- 1 Teaspoon garam masala ( optional)
- coconut oil / vegetable oil
- 2 Tablespoons Thengakothu (Small Square Size Coconut Pieces )
- Wash and clean the prawns. Mix together turmeric powder, pepper powder, ginger and garlic (paste form), cocum, salt curry leaves. Marinate prawns well with this mix.
- Cover and cook marinated prawns in a pan. Prawns itself has water in it. So you may need to add only 1 - 2 tablespoon water to it. It should not get overcooked as well.
- Ideally, prawns should get cooked by the time water gets dried up.
- Heat 1 -2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Fry the coconut pieces in medium flame. Stir it continuously. Remove the fried pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan and add finely sliced small onion. Saute until it becomes golden brown color.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, and garam masala to it. Saute it well. Add oil if required.
- Now add cooked prawns and fried coconut pieces to the above mixture. Adjust salt. Mix well, add required oil and cook it covered for around 10 minutes. Stir in between. Prawns get roasted well with this. Enjoy with rice 🙂
Calories: 227kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 35gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 420mgSodium: 1321mgPotassium: 268mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 420IUVitamin C: 24.9mgCalcium: 268mgIron: 4.2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!