Easy, soft and fluffy Appam made with fermented rice and coconut batter. An all time favorite breakfast 🙂 It’s best served with chicken/mutton/vegetable stew or fish molly and a staple diet in a Kerala home.
Pachari Rice / Idly
1 1/4 cups
Red Boiled Rice (Cooked)
1/2 - 1 teaspoon
- Wash the rice well for 2-3 times in running water. Soak rice in water for about 6-8 hours.
- Grind together rice, grated coconut and cooked red boiled rice in a mixer/blender in multiple batches. Use the water used for soaking rice and use extra water as needed to grind.
- Add yeast to the batter and mix well. I used Rapid Rise/Instant yeast. Refer Notes for more details.
- Cover the batter bowl with a lid and let it rest in a warm area overnight to ferment/to rise. The batter would have doubled and foamy after fermentation. In California weather, I keep the batter bowl inside the oven with lights on. Believe me, it helps to ferment.
- Add sugar and salt. Adjust the quantity as per your taste. Mix well. You can store in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days and use when required.
- Heat the appam pan/appam chatti. Pour a ladleful of batter and swirl the pan. It should be slightly thick in the centre, thin and lacy over the sides. Cover and cook. It will take around 3 minutes. Centre should be cooked and the sides should be slightly brown. Remove it with the help of a spatula.
- Serve it hot with vegetable/chicken/mutton stew or fish molly. Enjoy 🙂
- Pachari is the rice most commonly used to make the Appam batter. If you cannot find it, you can use idly/sonamasoori/any other long grain rice.
- I have found Rapid Rise yeast very useful. I use the brand fleischmann's. It's an instant yeast and no need to hydrate in water.
- If you are using an Active Dry yeast, dissolve 1 teaspoon yeast in 1-2 tablespoon lukewarm water and then add to the batter.
- Cooked red boiled rice or white boiled rice gives the best results. It makes the Appam very soft and fluffy.
- Traditional Appam is made in Appam pan/Appam chatti. If you don't have one, use a flat non-stick pan.