Rice roasted and cooked with ghee and spices. Quick, easy and delicious Malabar style rice preparation. It’s quite simple and doesn’t have to compromise taste too! One of my favorite rice preparation. It goes well with spicy nonveg/veg curry.
- Prepare garnish - Thinly slice the onion into uniformly-shaped pieces. Heat ghee in a pan. Fry the sliced onions until golden brown. Sprinkle salt and bit sugar while it's frying. Drain and remove it.
- In the remaining ghee, fry cashews and raisins, drain and remove it and keep it aside.
- Prepare rice - Wash and drain the rice. Slice onion. Crush the ginger. Heat ghee in the same pan. Add the spices - aniseed, cinnamon, star anise, cloves, cardamom seeds, bay leaf. Saute for a couple of minutes until spices get roasted.
- Then add sliced onion, curry leaves, and ginger. Saute it well. Once onion turns light brown, add cleaned rice. Add extra ghee if needed. Fry the rice so that it won't stick much once cooked. Saute it till rice is crispy.
- Meanwhile, boil water in another pan. Add enough salt to it. Once it is boiled, add it to the fried rice. Cover and cook. It might take around 10 - 15 minutes. Once water level drops just below the top of the rice, switch off the flame and keep the lid closed for another 15 minutes. It would be done by that time.
- Pour over 1 tsp ghee at the end. Fluff the rice and garnish with fried onions, cashew, and raisins. Serve with chicken/beef/mutton/veg curry 🙂