An easy and mouthwatering Prawns/Shrimp shallow fry which you can prepare in 30 minutes. This Chemmeen/Konchu fry is great as an appetizer, and also goes as a side-dish with rice. The best part is, you need just five ingredients! The recipe inspired by our uncle’s prawns fry preparation for our family get-together.
Fry / Garnish
- Marinate cleaned prawns with the ingredients listed under marination. Keep it aside for 30 minutes. I used peeled and deveined shrimp.
- Fry prawns - Heat oil in a flat and wide pan. I prefer coconut oil for frying. This is a shallow fry preparation, and a flat pan works the best.
- At medium-high flame, add prawns to the pan. Shallow fry the prawns for around 5-7 minutes on each side or until golden-brownish. Keep it aside. Fry prawns in batches. Don't overcrowd the pan.
- Fry coconut - You can use the same pan to fry coconut. Leave 1 tbsp oil in the pan. Remove the excess oil. At medium flame, add grated coconut and curry leaves. Sprinkle salt. Fry it until golden.
- When it's almost done, bring back the fried prawns. Mix everything well and give a couple of minutes for the flavors to get blended. Adjust salt if needed. Enjoy 🙂
- You can also prepare it with the tiger prawns. With tiger prawns, marinate the prawns as per the recipe, insert a toothpick through the prawns and then fry. Inserting toothpick, helps to get the prawns fried properly.