Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
Pork varattiyathu!! Pork cooked and roasted with chilli, spices and coconut. One of my favorite dish since my childhood days. I adapted this recipe from my grand mother. This Pork masala Fry recipe is a “must” dish at a Kerala Christian home especially in Trichur, for any special occasion. This goes well with rice.
Check out Coorgi Pork curry here.
- Cut cleaned pork into cube size pieces. Marinate pork with ingredients listed under marination. Add 2 tbsp of water to this and cook covered till the pork is done. In a regular pan, it might take around 45 minutes. In pressure cooker, it would be done in 1-2 whistles. In the authentic preparation, it's cooked in a regular pan. Refer notes on tips about best pork cuts that suit this recipe.
- ** Drain the excess oil out of the pan. Don't forget to do this. Otherwise the final dish would be very oily. I prefer using this oil to saute the onion and masala.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry coconut pieces until it becomes golden brown color. Keep it aside. ** Another alternative for coconut pieces is grated coconut. If you are using grated coconut, fry 3/4 cup of grated coconut until it gets brown color. Pulse it in a mixer without water. Don't make it to a fine powder. The authentic Thrissur style pork preparation is with grated coconut, and would highly recommend it 🙂
- Heat oil in a pan. Saute sliced small onions, salt and lots of curry leaves. Saute it until onion turns golden brown. Then add crushed garlic and ginger paste. Saute it well.
- Add chilly powder, coriander powder and garam masala. Saute it well and if required add more oil.
- Now add cooked pork and fried coconut pieces/ powdered grated coconut prepared in step 3. Adjust salt. Cook on low flame for around 15 - 20 minutes. If required, add oil in between. Stir it until it becomes black in color. Enjoy with rice 🙂