Rich dark pork curryfilled with slightly chewy bits of meat and sudden surprises of tamarind and peppery bits.I have always been fond of my aunt’s Pork curry which she learned from a Coorgi friend. I gave an attempt and it came out delicious 🙂 It goes well with‘akki roti’ (rice roti) or ‘kadambuttu’ (rice dumplings), neer dosa, rice or any other Indian bread.
- Clean and drain the pork pieces.
- Heat the ingredients listed under masala powder in a small pan. Then grind it into fine powder.
- Heat oil in a pan / cooker. Saute the sliced onion, salt and curry leaves. Saute it until light brown.
- Then add ginger and garlic paste and saute it well.
- Add chilli powder, turmeric powder and grinded masala powder. Saute it well.
- Grind tamarind in mixi with 1 tsp water.
- Add tamarind paste. Mix it well and add enough salt to the gravy.
- If the above gravy is prepared in a pan, transfer it to cooker. Add pork pieces, 2/3 cup water and mix well. Cook it until pork is done. It might take upto 1 - 2 whistles. ***Since tamarind is added while cooking pork , pork fat won't get melted completely.
- Add vinegar. Adjust the salt and mix it well. Boil it until the gravy is thick and have the required consistency.
- Enjoy with‘akki roti’ (rice roti) or ‘kadambuttu’ (rice dumplings), neer dosa, rice or any other Indian bread.
Since tamarind is added while cooking pork , pork fat won't get melted completely.