An easy South African dessert with a cake base and a cream sauce poured over it. Cake base of Malva Pudding cake contains apricot jam and has a spongy caramelized texture. It is delicious and served with custard, ice cream, whipping cream, or caramel sauce. Decadence at it’s best!
I had never tried this one before I baked one myself. A long time back, I heard about this recipe from our friend Nimmy. I have a sweet tooth and always wanna try out new desserts. The recipe was tempting, and it was worth a try. It was a great hit with the guests!! A must-try for dessert lovers 🙂 Recipe adapted from David Lebovitz.
Other cake recipes :
Tres Leches Cake - Vanilla Cake base soaked in milk sauce
Lemon Yogurt Cake Without Butter
Carrot Dates Cake Without Butter
- Baking Pan or Ramekins
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour (140 g)
- 1 ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 cup Sugar (200g)
- 2 number Large Egg
- ½ teaspoon Fine Salt
- ¼ cup Strained Apricot Jam (75 g)
- 1 ½ tablespoon Melted Unsalted Butter
- ½ teaspoon Apple Cider or White Vinegar
- 1 cup Whole milk (250 ml)
Malva Pudding Sauce
- ¾ cup Heavy Cream (180 ml)
- ¾ cup Sugar (150 g)
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter (115g or 4 oz)
- ¼ cup water
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC). Have 8 ramekins or 8 small panettone molds on a rimmed baking sheet ready. Another alternative is a 9 * 9 inch baking pan. I used a 9*9 inch baking pan for this recipe. Since this is a wet pudding cake, I didn't choose springform pan to make the cake.
- Prepare the ingredients- Make sure that butter is at room temperature. Cut it into square pieces, so that it get mixed soon.
Prepare Cake Base
- Prepare dry ingredients - To start with, whisk together the dry ingredients - All-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda in one bowl. Keep it aside.
- Powder the granulated sugar and use it here, so that it helps you to mix it well. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs, and salt on medium speed using an electric mixer or stand mixer until batter is thick, about 2 minutes.
- Add apricot jam and beat at low speed until mixed well.
- Add melted butter and vinegar. Beat the batter until mixed.
- Add milk and flour mixture(prepared dry ingredients) alternately. Beat it until batter is smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared ramekins/molds/pan and spread evenly. The batter should be a little bit more than halfway up.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until a cake tester placed in the center of the cake comes out almost clean. The cake would have caramelized texture across the top. This cake needs to be well baked 🙂
- Remove the cake pan to a cooling rack and allow the cake to cool completely.
Prepare Malva Pudding Sauce
- While the cake is baking, in a thick bottomed pan, heat the cream, sugar, butter, and water. Mix it until the mixture is smooth. I added around ½ cup sugar. Add it according to the desired sweetness.
- Poke holes in the cake with a fork or skewer. Pour the lukewarm Pudding sauce over the cake. It slowly gets absorbed into the cake, and the cake would be wet.
- Serve warm Malva Pudding with custard, ice cream, whipping cream, or caramel sauce. Enjoy 🙂