I’m not a big fan of carrot cake. But this super moist cake changed my mind. The combo of carrot, dates, and nuts make it a heaven! It’s a quite healthy cake, and easy to bake too. Inspired by Dates cake at Navya bakers in my hometown, Aluva. Adapted the recipe from http://atastychallenge.blogspot.com/. Hope you will like it 🙂
- Prepare caramel - Heat sugar in a dry pan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Swirl the pan often to avoid sugar clumps and get the sugar caramelized equally on all portions. Make the Caramel dark and on the bitter side. The bitterness of the Caramel complements this cake really well.
- Add hot water to the caramel. It will bubble up and be careful. Switch off the heat as soon as the caramel dissolves. Keep aside till it is cooled thoroughly.
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Grease a 8 1/2 x 4 1/4 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper. You can also use a 8 inch round pan.
- Toast nuts - Spread cashew nut/walnut on a cookie tray/sheet pan in a single layer and toast them in a 350F oven for about 10 minutes. Shake the pan occasionally during this time to make sure the nuts toast evenly. Don't miss this step. Otherwise, you feel a bit raw taste of nuts in the cake.
- Prepare Cake batter - Sift together the dry ingredients - flour, baking soda and salt into one bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Add the oil and beat well, making sure it's all incorporated.
- Make sure the prepared caramel is cooled. Then, add the caramel and Vanilla Essence. Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients (flour mixture) and mix slowly and gently until just combined. Do not overbeat.
- Grate carrots. Pit and chop dates into tiny pieces. Split up the toasted cashew nut/walnut kernels if they are too big. Add a tablespoon of Flour into the Carrots, Dates, and Nuts and mix slightly. It will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the pan (especially dates and nuts) and will aid to separate the Date pieces.
- Fold this into the batter. Mix well using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for around 40 - 45 minutes, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool down completely. Dust the cake with confectioners sugar. Enjoy:)