Incredibly moist and delicious chocolate cake without butter! This one is perfect for chocolate lovers. Another Ina Garten classic cake! The most intense chocolate cake I ever baked.
- Convection oven
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour (193 g)
- 2 cup granulated sugar (450 g)
- ¾ cup cocoa powder (75 g)
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 number extra large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup freshly brewed coffee
- 6 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 ounce bitter sweet chocolate
- 2 ½ cup confectioners sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
Chocolate Coffee Ganache
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon coffee powder
- Preheat the oven to 350F or 180C. Have two 8-inch x 2-inch round cake pans ready. Line the bottom of the pans with parchment paper, then butter and flour the pans.
- Combine the dry ingredients - Powder the granulated sugar so that it's easy to mix. Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the bowl of a stand mixer. Alternately, you can use an electric mixer.
- In another bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Refer the notes for the measurement of eggs.
- With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry. With the mixer still on low, add the coffee and stir just to combine, scraping the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 30 minutes, then turn them out onto a cooling rack and cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate. Stir in confectioners' sugar and fresh cream until smooth. Cool it down completely.
Prepare chocolate coffee ganache
- Melt chocolate in a small bowl in microwave or on the stovetop. In another saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate. Add coffee powder and whisk until smooth. Cool, occasionally stirring, until ganache reaches spreading consistency.
Assemble the cake
- Place one layer of cake, flat side up, on a flat plate or cake stand. With a knife or offset spatula, spread the top with filling. Place the second layer on the top, rounded side up, and spread the ganache evenly on the top and sides of the cake. You can also serve it with a scoop of ice cream! Enjoy 🙂
- A large egg equals 3-½ tablespoons of beaten egg. An extra large egg equals 4 tablespoons. In this recipe, it calls for 3 extra large eggs. I used 3 large eggs plus 1-½ tablespoon beaten egg.
Calories: 504kcalCarbohydrates: 67gProtein: 4gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 237mgPotassium: 245mgFiber: 3gSugar: 51gVitamin A: 440IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 60mgIron: 2.4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!