Crispy and spicy Anchovy or Kozhuva or Netholi fry. Anchovies marinated with spices and then shallow fried. Anchovy is also called nethili or chooda or podimeen in different parts of Kerala. A quite easy and tasty appetizer.
This fish fry is one of my favorites as an appetizer and as a side dish along with rice. A very common dish at a Kerala home and Kerala kallushap / Toddy Shop.
For more Kerala fish recipes, check out
Kerala Fish Fry
Kerala Fish Curry
Kerala Fish Curry with Coconut Milk
Kerala Fish Stew
- ½ kilogram Netholi / Kozhuva/ Anchovy
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- coconut oil / vegetable oil
- curry leaves
- 5 number small shallot
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 2 tablespoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Clean the fish (netholi / kozhuva / anchovy) and pat dry using a paper kitchen towel.
- Grind the ingredients listed under grind section and make it a fine paste - shallots, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, pepper powder, turmeric powder, lime juice, and salt. As needed, add just enough water to grind. Adjust the salt as per your taste.
- Marinate cleaned fish with the prepared marinade and curry leaves. Keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Before frying, add rice flour. Rice flour gives a crispy touch.
- Heat oil in a flat pan. Add the marinated fish to the pan. Deep Fry the fish over medium high flame until done and crispy. It would turn into golden color.
- Serve it with onion rings and lemon. Enjoy 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!