Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
Filipino style chicken cooked with soya sauce, vinegar, garlic and pepper. An easy peasy recipe that can be prepared with very minimal ingredients. You can either make a dry adobo or a gravy. A great side dish with white rice.
- Mix the ingredients listed under marination - soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, salt, garlic, sugar and bay leaves in a pan.
- You can use either chicken with bone (preferably small pieces) or boneless chicken for this recipe. Add chicken into the pan and toss the chicken pieces in the mixture. Once the chicken is well coated, remove the rest of the sauce from the pan and reserve it.
- Cover the chicken and allow it to marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes (over night is preferred).
- When it’s ready to cook, cover it and lower the heat. The chicken itself has water in it, don't add any extra water at this point. Simmer it for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked and dried up.
- Add 1 tbsp oil at this moment and lightly brown the chicken.
- Spoon the reserved sauce over the chicken. You can either make a dry adobo or a gravy. If you prefer a dry one, simmer it longer until the sauce has been absorbed by the chicken. Else, if you are looking for gravy, add corn starch and 1 or 2 tbsp water for richer gravy. Mix it well and boil till the gravy is up to the consistency desired. I made a gravy out of it.
- Turn off the heat. Serve with hot rice. Enjoy!