Moist, rich and dense Chocolate cake!! I prepared it for my nephew's bday and it was a big hit :) It takes bit long time to prepare but definitely worth the effort. Adapted from http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chocolate-Truffle-Cake
- In a large saucepan, cook the milk, butter and chocolate over low heat until melted. Remove from the heat; let stand for around 10 minutes until it cools down.
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Get ready 3 greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and vanilla.
- Stir in the prepared chocolate mixture until smooth.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Gradually add to chocolate mixture and mix well (batter will be thin).
- Transfer to the prepared pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small saucepan, melt butter and chocolate.
- Stir in confectioners' sugar and fresh cream until smooth. Cool it down completely.
- For ganache, place melted chocolate in a small bowl. You can melt chocolate either in microwave or on stovetop.
- In another saucepan, bring cream just to a boil.
- Pour over chocolate. Whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, until ganache reaches a spreading consistency.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread ganache over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
- I prepared 2 cakes instead of 3 with the same measurements and baked my cakes for 40 minutes. I prepared only half the filling cream since I had only 2 layers. I baked my cakes a day before filling and ganache preparation. It is easier to spread the filling, if cakes are prepared bit ahead.