This is a fabulous cake! A melding of chocolate, mocha and cream cheese flavors :) Without frosting, the cake alone is also very delicious. Chocolate ganache also makes a wonderful topping for this cake.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Make sure that butter is at room temperature. In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- Combine all the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.
- Prepare black coffee with triple the strength of a normal black coffee. I used 3 tsps of coffee powder to prepare 1 cup coffee. Let your coffee cool down.
- Add to creamed mixture alternately with cooled coffee and sour cream, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Frosting :- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- Prepare coffee in the same manner. Beat in the chocolate, cooled coffee and vanilla until blended.
- Adjust confectioners sugar quantity according to your desired sweetness. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Spread the filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Cover and refrigerate until serving.