I made this for my American friend who did not want it very spicy. Instead of spurting mustard we’ve used cumin and there is no chilly powder at all. Coconut milk was added at last for the gravy and a little bit of water to dilute it. Use the coconut milk to reduce the spiciness but be careful to not sweeten it. The taste is predominantly cilantro and we were generous with the leaves towards the end. Use very little turmeric. Just enough to give t the color. This is not a very easy recipe unless you manage to get all the ingredients from an Indian store. Like most Indian recipes, the key is to prep everything up before you hit the burner. Credits: Mahesh Mohanan and recipe from his wife Prajeetha.
If you are looking for chicken curry recipe with thinner gravy or without coconut, check chicken curry.
- Dice three chicken breast pieces to medium cube sizes.
- Add in the marination ingredients and set aside for 40 minutes. I added yogurt, ginger, garlic, pepper, coriander powder, salt and lemon juice. Get your hands in and mix it thoroughly and keep aside for some time.
- Chop onions
- Get all the prep materials ready while marination happens. This is how we save time.
- Once we have all the stuff ready and past the marination time, get a large sauce pan and heat some vegetable oil, add in the cumin seeds, chilli, curry leaves and ginger.
- Add the onions and sautée it.
- Add some salt while sautéeing to brown it fast.
- Once it browns up add the tomatoes. These tomatoes and the lemon juice from the marination adds the slight tanginess.
- Add the coriander powder and turmeric powder once it's golden brown and the tomatoes are liquidy.
- Once the rawness of the powders are gone with the roasting add the marinated chicken and mix it up.
- Cover it with a lid and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes on medium flame.
- Note that we haven't added any amount of water. The chicken has a lot of water already.
- It's been over 20 minutes now. Adding the coconut milk for the gravy. I added a bit of water since the milk was very thick and continue cooking for another 5-6 minutes on medium heat.
- Time to add the coriander leaves. We've saved it for the last.
- Continue cooking for a little bit more on low heat.
- The last stages, mixing up the coriander leaves.
- Tastes good!!'
- You can also use chicken with bone in this recipe.