Paneer/Indian cottage cheese cooked in spicy masala gravy, and wrapped in flaky puff pastry. This Indian Paneer Puff Pastry is easy to make if you have store-bought Puff Pastry Sheets in hand. It’s always a big hit in the parties! You will definitely love this one.
Here are other delicious paneer starters:
Paneer Masala Fry
- 1 pack puff pastry sheet
- 300 gram paneer (Indian cottage cheese)
Masala for filling
- 2 number onion (medium)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (crushed / paste)
- ½ teaspoon ginger (crushed / paste)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon fennel powder
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon soya sauce
Masala for filling
- Slice onion into small pieces. Chop curry leaves into tiny pieces. Chop paneer (or Indian cottage cheese) into small ½ inch cubes.
- Heat 2 teaspoon oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add onion, curry leaves and salt. Adding salt helps the onion to get cooked fast. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until onion is soft. Remove the lid and saute the onions until lightly brown.
- Add ginger and garlic, saute well. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, pepper powder, garam masala and fennel powder.
- Add chopped paneer and salt and mix it well. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes. Remove the lid, and if there's water let it evaporate.
- Add tomato ketchup and soya sauce and mix it well. Adjust the salt and ketchup according to your taste.
Bake the puffs
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C.
- Cut one puff pastry sheet into six equal sized rectangles. Spoon the masala filling into the center of each rectangle piece. Fold the puff pastry sheet. Seal the edges using a fork.
- Egg Wash is optional. It would help you to get nice glaze on top of the puffs. Whisk 1 egg in a small bowl. Brush the top of the puffs using a brush.
- Arrange the puffs on a baking sheet. Bake for around 12 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Depending on the number of the puffs in a batch, time will vary. Be cautious not to brown it too much.
- When almost golden brown, take it out of the oven and let it rest outside for some time. Remember that it will brown a bit even when it's outside since it's super hot. Serve with tomato ketchup. Enjoy 🙂
Calories: 905kcalCarbohydrates: 59gProtein: 20gFat: 66gSaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 467mgPotassium: 102mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 248IUVitamin C: 10mgCalcium: 375mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!