Chickpea simmered in coconut milk with ginger-garlic and spices. Brown Chickpea is mostly preferred for this recipe. Puttu with kadala curry is a comfort breakfast for any Malayalee. It can also be served with Idiyappam, Appam, Porotta and any Indian bread.
- Soak chickpea in 2 cups water overnight for around 10 - 11 hours.
- Add chickpea in cooker along with turmeric powder, chilly powder and salt (ingredients listed under Pressure cook). Cook it until chickpea is done. It will take up to 4-5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced onion, green chili, curry leaves and salt into it. Saute it well until onion is soft and translucent. Adding salt helps the onion saute faster.
- Grind ginger and garlic. Add ginger - garlic paste and saute well.
- Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, aniseed powder and garam masala and then continue sauteing. Add chopped tomatoes. Cook it until tomatoes are done.
- Add thick coconut milk and coriander leaves. Add coriander leaves only if you like the flavor.
- Add cooked chickpea and adjust salt. Stir it and bring it to boil.
- Seasoning - Heat oil in a small pan. Splutter mustard seeds. Add curry leaves, chopped shallots and dried red chilly. Saute it for a minute and add it to the curry. Enjoy with puttu, idiyappam, Appam, porotta or any other Indian bread:)
Last updated on: