Author: Jane Jojo Updated on:
A very very delicious pudding!! This Caramel Apple Trifle Pudding is full of all the flavors you love when you mix caramel, apples, spices and vanilla pudding. A super duper easy one! Inspired from Nirmala’s Caramel Apple n Pecan Trifle with some minor tweaks.
- Vanilla pudding - This layer has to be made first since it has to be chilled in the refrigerator for sometime. Combine the sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan and whisk until incorporated. While constantly whisking, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of the milk until smooth. Whisk in the egg yolks and remaining milk.
- Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook, whisking often, until the pudding begins to thicken and just starts to bubble, about 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium low. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and sides of the pan, until the pudding makes visible ribbons when drizzled over the surface, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla extract until the butter is melted and completely incorporated. Let it cool down and chill in the refrigerator until set, about 1 hour.
- Apple layer - Peel and chop the apples into 1/2 inch chunks. In a medium skillet, melt the butter and add the apples and cashew nuts. Make sure that nuts are chopped. Cook for a minute stirring constantly, then add the brown sugar and cinnamon powder.
- Stir over a medium flame till the sugar is melted and coats all the ingredients. then, reduce the heat to simmer and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove it from heat and allow it to cool down.
- Cake layer - Combine milk, caramel sauce and cinnamon and keep it aside.
- Cut the vanilla cake into bite size cubes and set it aside.
- In a large trifle bowl, arrange a third of the cake cubes in the base. Drizzle milk mix over the cake pieces. Make sure that all pieces are soaked well.
- Spread a third of apple layer on top of it.
- Then spread vanilla pudding on top of apple layer.
- Repeat the layer two more times.
- Garnish with caramel sauce and cinnamon. You can also pipe some whipped cream on the top and then drizzle with caramel sauce. Refrigerate for around 5 hours before serving. Enjoy 🙂