All time favorite appetizer of any Keralite!! It is a great snack that you can have anytime. Yummy appetizer for any special occasions and parties. Recipe adapted from my mom-in-law.
- 700 grams chicken (boneless)
- 1 Teaspoon turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon fennel powder
- 4 onion
- 7 Chilly Green
- curry leaves
- 1 Tablespoon garlic
- 1 ½ Tablespoons ginger
- 1 ½ Teaspoons pepper Powder
- 3 potato
- 2 egg
- 1 Cup bread Crumbs
- Cut boneless chicken into 1 inch cube size pieces. Boil chicken with salt and turmeric powder. Don't add water to it. Close the pan with a lid and cook. Chicken itself has water in it. It takes around 10 -15 minutes to cook chicken. Once chicken is done, open the lid and let the water evaporate completely.
- Crush green chillies in a chopper/mixi. Slice onions. Saute onion, green chilli and curry leaves. Add salt to soften onion fast.
- While it get sauted, cook potatoes in a separate pan or cooker . If you are using cooker, switch it off after 2 whistles or until it is done.
- Crush ginger and garlic well. Once onion turns light brown, add ginger-garlic mixture to it.
- Once it is sauted well, add fennel powder and pepper. Turn it off and allow the mixture to cool a bit.
- Grind together above mixture and boiled chicken prepared in Step 1. Make sure that mixture is blended well and cooked chicken pieces are minced properly. *** Grind it just enough so that you can feel the meat strands. Do not make it into a paste.
- Heat oil and add above mixture. Saute well for around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Allow chicken mixture to cool down. Meanwhile, mash the cooked potatoes well.
- Add chicken mixture to mashed potatoes. Mix it well.
- Make round balls and roll it into oval or other desired shapes.
- Beat egg well. Dip each cutlet in egg and then roll it with bread crumbs.
- Heat oil in a deep fry pan or kadai. Deep fry the cutlets until it's brown. Do it in batches. It would just take 2 to 3 minutes per batch. Use enough oil. Otherwise, you will find the cutlets cracking in the middle. Mistakes that I've done 🙂 You will get around 18 medium sized cutlets with this measurement. Serve it with tomato sauce. Enjoy 🙂
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!