Chicken cubes marinated, fried and sauteed in a spicy and tangy sauce. This is one of the most popular Indian Chinese style preparation. Best served with Vegetable Fried Rice or Chicken Fried Rice or Singaporean Chicken Rice
Vegetable oil Sunflower oil /
all purpose flour
red food colouring (optional)
Green onion spring onion / stalk
- Clean and cut chicken into 1 1/2 inch cube size pieces. Dice onion and capsicum into square pieces. Slit green chilli lengthwise. Grind ginger and garlic into fine paste.
- Prepare marinade - Beat the eggs. Add cornflour, all purpose flour, ginger and garlic paste, chilli powder, salt and mix well. Marinate chicken pieces and keep it aside for 30 minutes. Chilli powder helps to get good colour.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Deep Fry the marinated chicken pieces until golden brown. Fry it in small batches.
- Drain it in kitchen tissues.
- In the same Kadai, remove excess oil. Keep 3 tbsp oil in the pan. Saute garlic for a minute. Then add onion, capsicum, green chilli and saute it over a high flame until onion is soft, translucent and raw smell is gone.
- Mix all the three sauces in a cup with water. These are the brands I used. You can adjust sauce quantity as per your taste. I used regular Soy sauce. If you are using Dark Soy sauce, reduce the soy sauce amount from the measurement.
- Add it to the gravy and mix well over medium flame.
- Mix corn flour with some water and add it to the gravy. ** Adjust corn flour based on the thickness that you desire. Add salt, if needed.
- Add chicken pieces and mix it well. Let the chicken get coated well with the sauces. Add red food color. It's optional. Cook for another 5 minutes and switch it off.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and fried cashew nuts.
- I used Maggie tomato ketchup, Chings Green Chilli sauce and regular soy sauce. If you are using Dark Soy sauce, reduce the measurement. Adjust the sauce quantity as per your taste. With different brands, taste can differ a bit.